Oct 18, 2009

ZUCCHINI & MOZZARELLA

SONY DSC
Right- so we all know that tomatoes and mozzarella make a great match, but during my recent trip to Cagliari I became convinced that zucchini and mozzarella are an even greater match! They are just such a perfect edible duet that I promised myself when I go back home I am going to have to match them and eat them up together!

So this late morning was the perfect occasion. Why? Well we had lots of mozzarella in the fridge and zucchini left overs from the day before. And there you go, it was crystal clear- I definately knew what I'll be cooking today! I just wanted to add one extra ingredient to make it more personal: nigella seeds, because I always have a jar of nigella seeds in the kitchen and because sprinkling them over white cheeses makes wonders.

Hope you all had a great weekend!

Nigella seeds!
SONY DSC
Mozzarella!
SONY DSC

Before...
SONY DSC

and after (next time I'm being more generous with the zucchini though) :
SONY DSC

But you need to be seeing this close-up...
SONY DSC
SONY DSC

Recipe for fake zucchini & mozzarella focaccia with nigella seeds:

325gr flour
1 tbsp olive oil
Yeast
1 tsp salt
225ml warm water
Mozzarella
Zucchini, thinly sliced
Nigella seeds (optional)
& Olive oil for brushing over dough

Mix flour, olive oil, yeast, and salt. Add the warm water and knead for 10 minutes. Leave dough to rise for 1 hour in a warm place. Remove dough, knead, roll out to approximately 2cm thickness and transfer to baking tray lined with parchment paper and brushed with olive oil. Poke dough with a fork, and brush dough surface with olive oil. Generously add the mozzarella and zucchini and sprinkle over some nigella seeds(sesame seeds are good too) and some salt. Bake at 180C for 50mins.

6 comments:

Nina Timm said...

I think you are right, these two ingredients make a wonderful combination.

Nina Timm said...

I think you are right, these two ingredients make a wonderful combination.

Kitchenmoments said...

o my gosh this seems so fabulous !! i just love it !

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

Yum! I love this Marianna...especially with the addition of nigella seeds...great idea!

Manja said...

I totally love you for that recipe! I still have black and white nigella seeds at home and I didn't really know what to do with them (I bought them for making sushi) and this is a great idea. I will definitely try this out :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It look so delicious Marianna. Love the addition of the nigella seeds for that exotic look....Nigella is not just a Food Network star:D