Oct 17, 2008

THINGS TO DO WITH GREEN TOMATO JAM

You know what? It has been ages (I'm talking years here) that I haven't had breakfast. I just happen to be one of those "not breakfast people" persons. I have no problem for sipping a strong coffee in the morning, but anything more then that I just can't. Why? Well I think it comes down to two main reasons:

1) breakfast items are just "boring" to me. Yes people, cereal, milk, croissants, eggs & Co just don't make me excited to get out of bed and eat.

2) breakfast makes me sleepy. So by now you are definately thinking that I am a bit odd, no? Well I don't know, but everytime I "try" to have brekkie, well I get sleepy and something funny happens with my digestion. It's that same sleepy feeling you get after a heavy lunch or dinner.

So voila, now you know something more about me and that I am not one of those breakfast people. The other day however, I found some green tomato jam and exceptionally for once, I had breakfast. It was once, and who knows if it will happen again, but since the day I bought this green tomato jam I have been wanting to do tons of things with it. And the first thing I checked off my list was adding a spoon of it into a yoghurt, muesli and candied ginger mix. I mean some of you breakfast people have yoghurt and muesli for breakfast right? Sometimes with a dab of honey, no? Well here we replace the honey with green tomato jam and add in some to the rescue-homemade-so called-"candied" ginger. Is this making your stomach grumble or is it sounding a bit too overwhelming in a strange kind of way? Well, maybe I don't like breakfast, but I like experimenting around with flavours and this I thought tasted very good. The question now however is, will I start bringing breakfast back into my life again???
Above: green tomato jam is yummy!
Below: so called "candied" ginger which in fact was just a rescue plan made from fresh ginger as I had no candied form at the time.
My once-in-a-lifetime-breakfast:
Green tomato jam
Muesli- and I recommend the crunchy kind
Yoghurt
Candied ginger, diced

Mix everything together and set quantities according to your personal preferences. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Daziano said...

I've never had green tomatoes... can you believe it?

Anonymous said...

My friend recently moved to the Netherlands and has missed green tomatoes since the spring. Her in-laws grow tomatoes but refused to give her any green ones; they think they're poisonous (apparently rather common there?). Which is sad, because they're an amazing vegetable. Thanks for Marianna for reminding me of jam; now I can send my friend some. I just hope her in-laws don't think I'm trying to off her...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it might be a Christine Ferber jam...is it?

I too almost never eat breakfast...but it's a mixture of being really really lazy in the morning and preferring a hot, savoury breakfast!

test it comm said...

Green tomato jam sounds so interesting! I am going to have to try some.

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

oh looks great! i love tomato jam!