Mar 9, 2008

When mango meets risotto, and mint meets shrimp...


If I continue this way, soon my blog will have to be called "Under the Sea", or something like that...Here I go posting about seafood again. I can't help it really, I love fish and seafood...and I love risotto, and I love mangoes and heck I love everything and I am being terribly random. Let me organize my thoughts ehem.
1) Shrimps & Mangoes- I tend to see that combination quite often, and from personal experience it's one that I really like. So I decided to use that duo but put mangoes in...risotto! Definately a first for me, never tried or tasted that before, but after this trial I have to say that I definately like it and enjoy the sweet subtle taste from the diced mangoes.

2) If I could give one advice for anyone who may want to try this recipe- try to find the fattest zucchini you can, so that the slices are big and wide enough as a shrimp. As you can see in my photos, the zucchini look quite shy near the shrimps, and I would had liked the slices to be bigger for proportion and also to occupy more "dish space". It's funny now that I come to think of it, on the left you have a very fresh-fishy taste with the zucchini, shrimps and mint; and on the right you have sweet smoothness and creaminess with the mango and risotto. So if you're into those kind of flavour-complimenting, you'll find the recipe below!

Recipe for mint shrimps & mango risotto:

Ingredients for the shrimps:
  • Shrimps
  • Mint leaves
  • Olive oil
  • Lemon juice
  • Zucchini

How to make it:

This is super duper easy. Just marinate your shrimps for a few hours in a bowl containing olive oil, lemon juice and chopped mint leaves. When ready for cooking, pull out a pan and place on heat. Throw in the shrimps and cook on both sides for a few minutes. That's it! If you wish to accompany with zucchini as shown in my photos, then slice some zucchini and place on a baking pan. Brush the zucchini with olive oil & mint leaves and bake for 10 mins then grill for 10 mins.

For the risotto, please follow my recipe previously posted here

Just make sure to add in some diced fresh mangoes (I recommend to add that at the very end, and you can save some too for garnishing).

2 comments:

chriesi said...

Great combination.

Anonymous said...

Very educational. I was looking for something else but accidently came across your blog and it was very well done and quite intertaining.

Thanks for the tour of other cultures and their foods.